Saturday, July 21, 2012

My Memories of Life in Soviet Times


 Written by Svetlana Koehler
 Translated by Mark Koehler

I cannot say that the times were bad, although when you have nothing for comparison; it is difficult to estimate the comfort of your life. There were many things about our life in soviet times that were good, in my eyes; there were also some things that were not so good. We had only our good experiences to judge other experiences.
What was good about soviet times? Secondary school provided an excellent education, a solid foundation for my future studies. Knowledge that I gained was most helpful to me in college. Higher education was free at colleges and universities; I lived in a youth hostel during my medical college years. I studied to be a nurse at one of the medical colleges. Without the stress of financial responsibility, I was free to focus 100% on my studies. I was a first-rate student. In those days, many young people attended school, college, and university, graduating with qualifications to do their jobs well. There were superior teachers and students hungry for knowledge.
Unfortunately, things are a bit different today. Many young students who are not ready for college or university pay money to get in, and pay money for their grades and sometimes their diploma. The sad part is that these “experts” are not doing an expert job. This is particularly dangerous if they are a doctor. In some cases, the students who do have knowledge but do not have the money are passed by in the selection process.
What was bad about soviet times? You may have seen some stories about soviet people standing in line for bread and other products. I can tell you that it was a fact. Buying food and clothing required us to stand in long lines for many hours, sometimes starting our lines at three or four o’clock in the morning. The government stores, that was all there was, would receive shipments of only a few products at a time. Maybe shoes one day, coats or shirts another day, but milk was available every day. As a young mother, I would go to the store with my milk bottle. This also was a long process. From the milk truck or large canisters, milk would be scooped and poured into the three-liter bottle of each mother. I would wait in line for one hour or longer. I was always worried because my two children were at home alone.
To buy furniture, you had to sign-up in sequence at a shop on a register book. This position could require you to wait for one year. While waiting, it was necessary to come into the shop and confirm that you were still interested in the product. My parents bought some furniture for a long wall in the large room, but received it after waiting for one year.
With regard to housing, problems were not large. Young families could get a room in a hostel for free, paying only the monthly utility service thereafter. Young professionals were also provided with housing. If a person worked at the plant or factory, after eight - fifteen years, they could get an apartment for free. My son and his family now live in the three-room flat on the tenth floor that the government gave to my first husband and me. In Soviet times, many houses and high-rises were built. Now we need to pay money to buy a home, and many young families live with their parents not having the money to purchase an apartment.
I soviet times there was no religious freedom the government promoted atheism. The Russian Orthodox Churches were allowed to remain standing, but were not allowed to function actively. I you were practicing religion and it was revealed, you would lose your job. Bibles were forbidden, and could not be found anywhere for purchase. Things have changed very much in this aspect. Today, there is much religious freedom, but the government and many people who practice Russian Orthodox are very negative toward other branches of Christianity.
Telephones were another luxury. Of course, there were no mobile phones, but there were also few landline phones in the private homes. To have a landline phone in your home, you had to enroll at the telephone exchange and wait for as many as five to ten years to have this service. So, how did we communicate? It was acceptable to visit friends without invitation. Or, if I saw a friend at the market, a daily adventure, I would invite her to visit that evening. Life was very simple in those days.

No comments:

Post a Comment