Monday, February 7, 2011

Friends and Family



During the past 7 years, I have developed an acquaintance with a shop owner here in Illichevsk. Igor spoke nice English, giving him a good start in business after the fall of the Soviet Union. He previously worked in Odessa outdoor markets and traveled to other countries to buy goods for sale in Ukraine. His family began to grow sixteen years ago, first with his daughter Marina, (now passionate about the English language) and then, a number of years later, a second daughter, and a little over a year ago, a son. His business has also grown, starting with one shop that provides a variety of products. I could buy items such as sandpaper, nuts bolts and screws, or light bulbs and extension cords. As his business grew, he separated the two major product groups, renting the shop directly across from his first.
Our friendship began when I needed to buy some building materials for a bookshelf. Not long after, I built a bed with drawers, and when the massage clinic began, I built a wooden ladder. Over time, I would stop in for one item or another, and we would chat. He was very proud of his growing family, particularly his first daughter, Marina.
When I visited the market last week to buy some light bulbs at Igor’s first shop, I walked across to the second shop to chat with him. We talked about a number of things, including his family, and finally our conversation turned toward my work. He wanted to understand exactly what this pleasant America did that kept him living in Ukraine for so many years. I did my best to share with Igor what my job was all about. I gave him my web address to see what I do.
Upon returning home, I realized that I had bought the wrong wattage light bulb. Realizing that I would see him again the following day, I prepared my business card, adding my blog address that has a blog translator gadget. This would enable Igor to read my blog and website in Russian.
The following day Igor was away when I arrived. I asked his clerk across the way to give my card to Igor, explaining that the web addresses were on the back. He, understanding my poor Russian, said that he would.
That night, I received a comment on my webpage from Igor’s daughter. They invited me to visit with them on Sunday, thinking that a walk by the sea would be a nice atmosphere. We set up the meeting time and place and were ready for a nice, well-translated conversation with the help of his soon to graduating daughter, Marina.
It was a beautiful day to be by the sea. The sun was shining brightly while an ordinary sea breeze scurried by; we tried to ignore the 40 degree F temperatures, talking above the sounds of the lapping waves. We talked of many things, all trickling down to one essential model. The family structure is the strength that will cause a country to succeed or fail. Family must be the heart, the foundation of every community.

No comments:

Post a Comment